Valhalla Mountain Touring Trip 17-24 February 2008
General, Mapping, and Route Information
Mountain Touring is in central British Columbia, about 40
miles NNW of Nelson. Here's
some basic information:
- The lodge is a beautiful wood beam building, sleeps about
12 comfortably with
double and triple bunk rooms, and has a large dinning / kitchen /
lodge is at about 5800ft, about 1hr by snow-cat from the nearest road.
The advantage of cat access over heli is no weather holds. Co-ordinates
if you want to look on Google Earth, etc. are N50 05 29.7 W117 35 24.5.
- There is electric for lighting, stereo, heating, etc.,
supplied from a micro-hydro installation, and a pretty good satellite
- Main lodge is heated by wood-stove. A
wood-fired sauna, shower, and drying room are in the
- Generally there are two guides for 12 clients
- All skiing is under your own power (skin up, ski down).
We did a
little over 6000ft per day. The terrain accessed from the lodge is a
mixture of trees and alpine, depending on weather and conditions.
- For a catered stay the cook prepares breakfast, lays out
sandwich items for lunch, makes appetizers for the return from skiing,
and serves dinner about 7pm. And the food is good.
pick-up point is near New Denver BC, which is about 60mi (35mi as the
crow flies) from Nelson,
and about 200mi north of Spokane. Pick-up is about 11am Sunday,
about 9:30am the following Sunday.
- Times and distances
for our skiing day-by-day (some times are over-estimates)
- Maps with track for each day's skiing, printed from Garmin
- more detailed
Monday February 18 - Little Sister (click on image to see
Tuesday and Wednesday - Caribou Ridge and Shannon Lake
Friday - 'Shroom Room (via Ruby Ridge)
Saturday - Ruby Bowl - Eric the reaper and steep lines